Saturday, August 27, 2016

Yes, folks, she has a brain.

I missed a block party in my hometown today. I was much too weak and in too much pain to go, even on the walker. I'm making a lot of plans these days, but most of them are on a "just in case I'm strong enough" basis. I had a great dinner and game of Clue with a friend last night, so that was cool. I was planning to visit a church tomorrow (more on that later), but I doubt I will be up to going. I can barely walk at the moment.

Since I'm stuck at home, I'll go ahead and blog the results of my follow-up with Internal Medicine. TMI warning, as always. In a nutshell:

- my brain is normal as per CT scan (yes, folks, she has a brain!)
- my digestive system is low-functioning (this is why I always look pregnant, by the way), no cancer found in my upper GI tract, but I'm scheduled for an intestinal MRI on Monday due to concerns.
- extremely high amounts of potassium brought me back into the low 4s, but I really need to be in the low 5 range to have maximum mobility (which is much weaker than average to begin with, needless to say).
- I am finally on a prescription phosphorus supplement, and will return in one month to have my levels checked.
- Magnesium, sodium, and Vitamin D are currently normal, which is a feat that I don't believe has ever happened before, at least not simultaneously.
- The doc prescribed an antibiotic to try to force my stomach to contract. I'm not supposed to be on antibiotics, but since we confirmed that Reglan puts me in the ER with serious paralysis, and surgery for a gastric pacemaker is very high risk, we agreed that this was a slightly safer option. I'll start it after the MRI, and continue it only if I don't experience unmanageable HKPP symptoms.
- I was offered a social worker to help me manage my disability. I'm still deciding whether or not I'm going to go through with this, only because their policy is to come to my place instead of me going to theirs. Knocking on my door, uninvited, to ask me questions from a checklist every week is an anxiety trigger, and I actually felt better when I told the last social worker (2014) to close my file. So, I don't know.

Thanks for the love, prayers, well wishes, etc. always.

No comments:

Post a Comment