Saturday, July 9, 2016

Medical Equipment Drama

Indy 500 (my rolling walker) and I have visited a large local med equipment company a couple of times. They may be really nice folks, but they are the absolute worst salespeople I've ever met. Every time I have gone there for walker or wheelchair discussions, they have said things so ridiculous and aggravating, I've wanted to scream. Just a few examples:

"It doesn't matter what kind of seat is on the walker, you're not supposed to be sitting on it anyway."

"That one only holds up to 200 pounds." (Side note: I'm not 200 lbs)

"The whole chair is 129 pounds. It's not THAT heavy."

"You don't need a wheelchair right now. You don't want to become dependent on it."

"You look like you're doing fine."

These people have tested my patience to its maximum level.

At any rate, they informed me that a power chair lift cannot legally be installed on a Buick because it sits too low to the ground. They said some people have been brave/crazy enough to rig a lawn mower trailer on the back of their cars for this purpose, but that is not an option for me for several reasons. Mostly, I wouldn't do it because power chairs are a thousand bucks, and I'm not "rigging" a thing. It will be done right, or it will not be done at all. But I also live in public housing with one parking space, and a trailer would block incoming traffic. This is not a possibility.

A truck or SUV with a proper hitch is the only way to legally do this, so that is what I'm facing. An approved vehicle first (unknown cost), then a chair and lift (which amounts to about $1950, not counting tax, accessories, or lift installation).

In summary, I'll have to accept my limitations on the walker unless my circumstances (finances, living arrangements) somehow change.

No comments:

Post a Comment