Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Internal Medicine vs Renal Clinic Labs (alternate title: My Body Is An Idiot), & PTSD

These labs were taken only 7 days apart.
Labs are from the same company in 2 different clinics in 2 different states.

Renal Clinic 5/5: Creatinine was normal, WBC was high, sodium was low, potassium was 3.9, phosphorus was low.

Internal Medicine 5/12: Creatinine was high (indicating kidney failure), WBC was normal, sodium was normal, potassium was 4.2, phosphorus was even lower in spite of starting on a supplement.

The potassium doesn't surprise me at all. I purposely took 40 mEq potassium chloride right before my lab draw to see what it was doing. 4.2 is normal, but I function best in the 5s. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the 5 range in years thanks to the progression of my condition.

I upped the sodium a little in my diet, and it worked. It's very easy to go too high or too low where sodium is concerned, so it's a constant roller coaster.

White blood count is back to normal. Most likely, they were slightly elevated (barely, not a big deal) due to a mild UTI that has since resolved. (I'm still sick with my sinuses, but my white blood cells apparently don't care). This is something I keep an eye on for the sole reason that a doctor almost diagnosed me with Leukemia when I was 20. I still remember how scared he was that it was Cancer, and how relieved he was to tell me it wasn't.

Creatinine...I don't even give a damn anymore. If it's going to fluctuate like that every few days, forget it. It's not even worth documenting anymore.

Phosphorus - I went to GNC and bought a supplement, and my levels went DOWN? How's that for some stupid BS. My body is an idiot.

Ok, breathe. Let's take an intermission from this rant fest to give a round of applause to my Magnesium level, which is holding on for dear life in excellent normal range. Good job, Mag.

I had a post-traumatic stress event a few days ago. I won't go into detail publicly, but I'm just mentioning that it happened. This is not quite the same thing as a panic attack, I've learned, as PTSD episodes are the result of something that has happened in the past, as opposed to a panic attack which is defined as having no known cause. It took me by complete surprise, and I'm beyond disappointed that it occurred, but all I can do is continue to be real about my life and do the best I can. I am unable to be medicated due to the serious HKPP symptoms anti-anxiety meds cause, so I'm up a creek where treatment is concerned. I applied for counseling in 2014, back when I had a social worker, but I never received a response to my application. I figure if they're that busy or careless, it's not worth it. Maybe I'll look for other options.

I think we're all a little broken inside. Some, a lot more than others.

C'est la vie, mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment