Sunday, October 19, 2014

A blog rant, humanity, and the state of medical care

I wanted to share this blog post from a lady who had an unfortunate and very familiar experience with emergency care. Language alert for the easily offended.

http://letsfeelbetter.com/urgent-clinic-doctor-fail-i-dont-even-care-if-you-google-it/

I've been there. I've been in an emergency situation at the mercy of people around me, only to be mocked, mistreated, and misunderstood. It happened for years. I have been told of so many nightmares of people going through this kind of shame in medical care, and while it's nice to know I'm not alone in my battles, it's sad and unacceptable that this is still so common. I'm glad Ilana is telling her story. More patients need to put the truth out there, no matter how ugly that truth may be. Sometimes, shouting is the only way to be heard.

Doctors and Nurses: if you want to do the world a tremendous injustice, go ahead and assume every young person who rolls through your door is a drug seeker. Go ahead and assume they're being overdramatic and that their symptoms are exaggerated. Go ahead and assume that just because you haven't heard of it, or have never treated it, it must not be valid. Go ahead and do harm, if you dare. Just remember this: your paranoid and uninformed assumptions don't make you smarter or more superior. They only make you a closed-minded jackass.

I struggle greatly with the state of the world. I've learned that where there is good, there is bound to be bad. It is inevitable in all of us, as humanity is deeply flawed. The way I see it, if people want to screw up their own existence, that's their business. But when someone else's well-being is at hand, humility and willingness to accept education, ideas, and possibilities go a very long way. It can save lives and livelihoods. I believe it has saved mine.

My heart goes out to every patient who has lived through these scary and frustrating moments. It took a life-threatening decline in my condition for people to finally listen to me and take me seriously, and I can't help but wonder what my life would be like had I received the care I sought unsuccessfully for 20+ years. At any rate, I am very thankful that I have now found a team of physicians who are in my corner and are doing what they can to help. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I only wish to God I had found them sooner.



(cross-posted to my personal blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment