Friday, July 13, 2012

Chronic pain and sodium channels

I found this article to be worth sharing. I know many of us with Periodic Paralysis deal with pain 24/7, while it doesn't seem to be an issue for others. I can't help but wonder if all of us with PP who have severe, chronic pain happen to have the SCN4A or other sodium channel mutation.

As I've said in the past, I don't know what mine is yet, but I hope to be one of the lucky ones to find out someday. I feel it's relevant to note that I have monitored my sodium intake over the past few years (I didn't know sodium was an issue before 2009), and I found that not only does sodium cause me to become weaker due to potassium shifting, but it also greatly increases my chronic pain level. I think it is also important to mention that sodium (glucose as well) causes potassium to shift even in someone who does not have Periodic Paralysis. For that reason, it has crossed my mind many times that chronic pain and chronic fatigue syndromes could be related to sodium.

I will share more at a later date, but wanted to go ahead and give you this article today.

http://www.molecularpain.com/content/4/1/37


Talk to you soon. I think I responded to everyone who emailed me over the past few weeks. If I didn't, please feel free to shoot me another email and fuss. I'll get right on a reply.

Thanks,
Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment